Up Knit Creek



Sunday, October 28, 2007

Not my fault...

...this time anyway! The computer went a bit wrong, as in wouldn't load Windows. Didn't matter which option I selected, I just kept getting the same message "We are sorry for any inconvenience (Inconvenience!!!) but Windows failed to initialise properly blah blah blah". We just kept going round and round, round and round, round and round until I was about ready to chuck the stupid thing out of the window. Sanity prevailed and the nice techie guy Alex came over and sorted it out. Computer has now spent the rest of the week on the naughty step until it apologises for its unacceptable behaviour.

So, there has been knitting (since I couldn't get on Ravelry or Facebook, or any of the other procrastinators I regularly use) and I am now on sock #15 of 16 of the MSP*! Yay! Go me!
To make up for lost time, I also had to do a spot of online purchasing, namely undyed sock yarn and nice shiny new needles from Knit 'n' Caboodle. I was very impressed with their service - I ordered at about 11.00pm on Wednesday night and received the parcel on Friday morning, beautifully wrapped in purple tissue, with a free cable needle and a couple of sewing-up needles included. Excellent.

On Saturday, I went to Lewes Town Hall for the bi-annual show/exhibition of the Guild of Weavers, Spinners and Dyers. There was, as expected, much delicious booty to be had. My purchases included some Blue-faced Leicester fleece (I've wanted some for ages and thought I ought to have some as I am originally from Leicester), some BFL/Nylon undyed laceweight yarn (1200 metres for £5.80), both from DT Crafts; a copy (finally) of Barbara G Walker's "Treasury of Knitting Patterns" and some rather lovely dyed merino/silk rovings from P & M Woolcraft; and lastly some very very fine cashmere singles yarn in a deep red which I intend to ply into approx DK weight - if I can extract the wheel from its thick pall of dust, that is.

This morning, I have transformed the undyed yarn into a riot of colour - well, I've splashed the dyes around and some of it landed on the yarn - so the bathroom now has big drippy skeins hanging from the shower screen, a lovely blue laceweight, a "sunset" colour and "autumn" colour for the sock yarn. Photos eventually, when it's all dry.

There is an upside to the computer misbehaving - I seem to have been quite a bit more productive than usual. There's a lesson to be learned there, somewhere...


*MSP = mammoth sock project (still!)

4 Comments:

  • Nothing worse that a computer malfunction! I hate being stranded without the internet...I feel like I'm grounded or something.

    But you are so right. More certainly seems to get done when one can't waste time online!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 8:26 pm  

  • Mum, I have had what I consider to be a rather nifty idea for a shrug type thing. If I try and draw it or doll it for you, do you think you could make some kind of pattern and knit it for me? In the same wool you did my prom shrug in? [same colour too ^^]
    If you can you will win my eternal love and gratitude. Not that you don't have it already. You will win more of it.

    By Anonymous Bethany, at 11:02 pm  

  • Good to meet you at Borders last night, and good luck for the final stages of the sock marathon!

    The Walker Treasury Project site Jan mentioned is at
    http://thewalkertreasury.wordpress.com/

    By Blogger Liz, at 5:10 pm  

  • Hmm, I've been thinking for some time that there's an essay (blog) topic there.
    "The internet has been responsible for both the resurgence of hand knitting and the demise of the same. Discuss!"
    LoL!!

    By Blogger ra, at 9:24 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home