Up Knit Creek



Friday, February 17, 2006

Little stitches

Last weekend I went to "Creative Stitches & Hobbycrafts" at the Brighton Centre, where I was helping out on the Knit 'n' Natter stand (mostly nattering, in my case). The show is geared mainly towards cross stitch and card-making (I have voiced my opinions on card-making in the past so I'll say no more about it) but there were one or two stalls of interest to knitters including Mo-bair, run by Victoria Smedley. She dyes, spins, weaves and knits and makes teddy bears from mohair and other fibres which are all in gorgeous colours but what really caught my eye was the teeny tiny knitting needles she had for sale. I had to buy a pair (just the one, how restrained) of size 22 (0.7mm) just to see whether it was actually possible to knit with them. I'm happy to report that it is!
Image hosting by Photobucket
These samples are both 27sts by 40 rows and are the lattice-work pattern from Alchemy Yarn's "Rock Star" cardigan. The top sample was knitted on 4.5mm needles with some reclaimed yarn of unknown parentage and the bottom sample was knitted on the teeny-tinies using some almost invisible cashmere that has yet to decide what it wants become. I would love to knit a shawl using the teeny-tinies, but they're only about 4" long so it's not really practical unless I make lots of separate motifs and join them together - any suggestions? (Lucy's suggestion: Choose a shape that tessellates well.)

Just because I can, a gratuitous picture of Mollie
Image hosting by Photobucket

2 Comments:

  • Hi annie - i am impressed with your lace work. I love lace, very creative.
    Thanks for your comment on Knitman. much appreciated.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 7:04 pm  

  • Thanks, Colin - just following instructions, y'know. Now, if I'd actually designed the lace pattern myself, that would be creative!

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:44 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home