Up Knit Creek



Sunday, February 26, 2006

Fiddling and faffing

I've been doing a lot of this over the last couple of days, trying to get a unique font for this blog and then trying to find a means of making it available to others. I think I have succeeded, thanks to Bethany who has kindly agreed to play host for the download file, and who has talked me through what to do using words of one syllable. I'm not a complete Luddite with computers, but I don't know much (if anything) about html and all that techie stuff.
Anyway, if you wish to see this blog in its very own totally unique font, please click the link in the sidebar and download the font to your PC. Please let me know if it doesn't work and my technical adviser (thanks, Bethany) may be able to help.

On the knitting front, I am plodding on with this, but I don't really know if I like it now. I have one sleeve and all the frilly bits to do so I'll decide when it's finished, but I can't help thinking it's a bit too frou-frou for me. I also knitted a small moebius neck-warmer/headband on 15mm needles using some Rowan R2 braid which I dyed last weekend; there may be a photo later, if I can be bothered! Trouble is, although I'm very happy with the colours, the yarn is a bit difficult to know what to do with, and I have discovered today that I am terminally useless at grafting in garter stitch (unless it's meant to have big holes in it?.............No? thought not!).


As a bit of an aside, I have been shocked recently at some of the vitriol that has sprung forth on a couple of knitting forums, particularly regarding a yarn retailer not too far from Up Knit Creek. Although the vast majority of posts on the subject were only concerned with trying to sort out their orders or to get some kind of information, a few posts were intent on doing maximum damage to the company in question and personal slurs on the staff, past and present. Obviously, I don't know the whole story, but I was horrified and very saddened to think that such words could come from the knitting community that I have always found to be friendly and supportive.

In other news, Lucy starts her very first job tomorrow. It's a part-time tele-sales job (which is not her ideal choice, by any means) so I wish her lots of luck and hope she makes a real success of it.

OK, it's knitting in front of the telly time now, the new Stephen Poliakoff drama is about to start.

2 Comments:

  • I'm pretty sure you dont stand around posing like the model in the picture so the "cardi" will look wonderful on you. The wavy bit around the whole body looks mighty daunting to me.Cheers Gillian

    By Blogger Gillian, at 9:07 pm  

  • Hey Annie
    Thanks for comment. The hat pattern is in last minute knitted gifts - I did fiddle with it a bit though.

    Like the new look to your blog font.

    By Blogger Peri, at 10:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home