Up Knit Creek



Thursday, September 28, 2006

A few little things

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Lucy's shrug, finally finished after three false starts and a decided lack of interest after the first side was complete. Lucy is happy with it, but I don't really like it much - the pattern doesn't go with the yarn and isn't very visible; I think this stitch pattern would be better in cotton or silk............ next time.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This is the first attempt at knitting with my own handspun yarn. It is very variable in thickness, full of nobbles and the colours are a bit yucky but I can't help feeling pleased as punch with this. Things can only get better from here!
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
Second attempt at handspinning; I have no idea what the wool is as it was given to me by Ann from whom I bought the wheel. I found it quite easy to spin and the overall thickness is much more uniform than the first attempt. I would like to dye this using natural dyes but am a bit unsure where to start (I bought some raw beetroot in anticipation).
Finally:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
This little chap is a silly present for a colleague who has a "significant" birthday coming up. What on earth do you give the man who already has everything? Of course! A knitted bellboy! The pattern is by the inimitable Jean Greenhowe, whose attention to detail really makes these patterns stand out. I have several of her booklets and have been really pleased with finished results every time. Her traditional teddy is the best knitted teddy I have come across.
I know I haven't been blogging much recently but as you can see, I've been busy. As well as the above, OH and I went to visit Standen on Sunday and what a little gem it is. In addition to the lovely Arts & Crafts house, the local Spinners' Guild was demonstrating in the conservatory and there was an exhibition by three local textile artists in one of the bedrooms - beautiful felt bags and scarves, fantastic embroidered pictures and some of the nicest patchwork I've seen. The exhibition finishes this weekend so do try and go if you can although the house alone is well worth a visit. (No pictures as Bethany still had the camera!)

1 Comments:

  • Your handspinning is really coming along nicely! Remember, it's not supposed to be perfect. Every one one of those nubbles is hand-crafted! Loving the bellhop!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home