Up Knit Creek



Monday, April 02, 2007

Busy busy busy

This past week has gone by so fast I don't know if I'm coming or going (nothing new there, then). A lot of the week has been spent indulging in my favourite activities, namely knitting, spinning and gossiping having deep, meaningful discussions with like-minded people. There may have been a teeny-weeny amount of alcohol involved, but we can just gloss over that - what's a dozen couple of drinks between friends?

So, Monday was spinning, or rather helping Peri to get to grips with her lovely new wheel. As is often the case with these things, there was one tiny little thing missing from the jigsaw, and once that was sorted (in this case, a miniscule adjustment to the scotch tension) she was off. In no time at all, the luscious fibre stacked around Peri's living room will be transformed into equally luscious yarn which she will no doubt knit or weave into something gorgeous.

Wednesday.
If I could choose my ideal Stich 'n Bitch in terms of time and place, I would say "Wednesday evenings, quite early, at Borders in Brighton". Imagine my joy when I discovered that such a thing actually existed, and my grief at realising that I had already missed out on over a year of Stitchin 'n' Bitchin! I have redressed the terrible waste of all that knitting time and went along to my first-ever official Stitch 'n' Bitch! On Wednesday! Between 6pm and 8pm! In Borders! Perfect. It was a very select gathering on this occasion (probably due to the lovely warm weather which sent everyone to the beach) but I am told that there are usually about ten or so, the ideal size in my opinion. I may not be able to go for the next two weeks but really hope to make this a regular feature in my rather empty social calendar.

Friday.
This was the next instalment of an occasional series known as "Work colleagues go mad in Brighton". The series relies on any one of a number of flimsy excuses - someone's birthday, boss is away, crappy day, it's exactly six months till Christmas, it's nearly Easter - you get the picture - to go out drinking and eating in one or several of the many hostelries and eateries in Brighton. This time, it was to celebrate three birthdays in two weeks and just about everyone in our team was there (except the boss, who was on holiday in the West Indies - this may or may not have been an influencing factor!). Anyway, the conversation was surreally funny, the food good and the drinks flowing so I think we can judge this instalment a success. Also, I had NO HANGOVER on Saturday, so a double success! (And my children have not disowned me.....).

Sunday.
Cake and knitting. Knitting and cake. Gossip. Yarns, yarns, yarns. The chance to meet people whom you've nattered to for ages in cyberspace. Cake. Knitting. sssssshhhhhh spending ssssshhhhh. Cake. Cake.
Yes, it was an Angel Yarns Cake Day.
I am in the happy position of living not too far away from Angel Yarns so I have been to every single cake day, a record I am extremely proud of. Not only did I sample some really scrummy cakes and buy some equally scrummy yarn but I also spent about 5 hours talking knitting to real, live knitters (and cuddling babies, something I thought I had forgotten how to do). Big thanks to Tess (aka Wonder Woman) and her staff who give up their precious free time to let us yarnaholics run riot through their stock.

This week is going to seem so quiet.....................

3 Comments:

  • That sounds like such a nice week! And there was cake. I think I need some cake. Knitting is awesome, as is spinning. But cake? That is just the best!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 11:02 pm  

  • What a great sounding week! Congrats on finding your perfect S'n'B to go too!!

    :)

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 1:06 pm  

  • Nice to find another Sussex blogger (I'm over in East Sussex)
    cake day sounds fab, but too tempting since I'm on a yarn diet...they don't sell fibre at angel yarns do they...not on a fibre diet)

    By Blogger Joanna, at 4:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home