Up Knit Creek



Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Sssssh

Do you want to know a secret?
OK then
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I can reveal all now that it is in the safe hands of Sandy, my kind-of-sister-in-law. It is "Argosy" from Knitty's winter 2006 issue, knitted in Jaggerspun Zephyr (50% merino 50% silk) in "Cinnabar" colourway. It was very straightforward to knit yet the effect is so light and lacy that people think you must have magical powers! The only changes I made were to the method of casting off each little square - the instructions called for "k2tog, slip st back to left needle and repeat" but I just couldn't get it to look neat so I went for an ordinary cast-off which looks a lot more even in my humble opinion.
There is still another part of the secret to be revealed but that must wait a while longer yet......... the suspense is killing, no?

The bag-shaped groove I seem to have climbed into continues
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

This was made with some recycled sari silk I got off Ebay. I was very disappointed when the yarn arrived as the colours were nowhere near as jewel-like as normal and it kept breaking when I was winding it into balls. As a result, the yarn sulked in the bottom of the stash for several months before deciding that it would like to become a bag. This was another "make it up as you go along" type jobby and one which I don't think will be repeated; the silk is too floppy for a structured bag like this and is only holding its shape because of the heavyweight vilene sandwiched between the outside and the lining. I gave up on the idea of i-cord inside transparent plastic tubes for the handles as too many small animals were suffering during the experimental stage and resorted instead to poking wire-cored plastic washing line into the i-cord. A tough job, but someone had to do it.

Current work-in-progress is a lightweight sweater for me using some hand-dyed yarn I got at the Knitting & Stitching show in Birmingham last year. It is very fine yarn, somewhere between 4ply and laceweight at a guess so progress is very slow. This is normally a source of some frustration for me as I like to be able to see quick results but in this instance it is a good thing - I am on Jury service for two weeks from next Monday and have been warned that there will be lots of sitting around, waiting - lots of simple stocking stitch in-the-round will be a perfect antidote to boredom.

1 Comments:

  • I love the shape of Argosy, it's really unusual.

    Good luck with the new sweater (not sure I could do a grown up sweater in such fine yarn) and I hope your jury service goes ok.

    :)

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 11:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home