Up Knit Creek



Tuesday, January 02, 2007

First FO of the New Year

Yes, it's true - only 2nd January and I already have a finished object. It's very small and didn't tax me too much but it is finished already, having been completely knitted on New Year's Eve, sewn up on New Year's Day and finished off with the ribbons this afternoon.
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
It's the baby kimono from Mason-Dixon Knitting, stocking stitch version using up some Rowan Wool-cotton which is a delight to knit with - very smooth and easy to use. The intended recipient has not yet put in an appearance despite being due on Christmas Day but she already has a name - Layla - and will be OH's great-niece. It looks very small but then it's a long time since my babies were that small so I suppose I've forgotten how tiny they are at first.

Well, Christmas is all over for another year and I'm happy to say that, despite my lack of organisation and planning, it all went off without a hitch, unless you count the tragic incident of the broken fingernail. Everything was going swimmingly on Christmas morning, the turkey was in the oven, the sprouts were prepared, the roast potatoes were crisping nicely and then I went to get a sauce-boat out of the cupboard (sounds posh doesn't it? A sauce-boat? I only bought it a couple of weeks ago 'cause I didn't think our guests would appreciate having sauce dumped on their plates straight from the saucepan) anyway the cupboard door slipped away from my hand but caught the left thumbnail and bent it back beyond its normal limits, causing it to split quite a way down. Very sore but fortunately no blood.
You can tell from this incident that I've obviously had a very quiet, uneventful holiday season as it was by far the most exciting thing to happen all week.

It's back to work tomorrow and I'm really not looking forward to it. I had so many things I wanted to do whilst on leave and haven't managed any of them really. I've done a bit of spinning (three more skeins of recycled sari-silk, making 187g spun in total) and a bit of knitting (secret surprise) but there has been absolutely no progress on the getting-ideas-onto-paper-so-I-can-work-them-out-properly front so my plans for world domination through knitting are no further advanced than they were three months ago *sigh*.

A little while ago, I was tagged by Helen to do the "6 weird things about me" meme. I haven't forgotten but I'm having trouble with this, 'cause I'm just not weird, well, I don't think so, anyway; also having trouble thinking of six other people to tag as nearly all the bloggers I regularly read have already done it.
I will canvass opinion from my nearest and dearest and get back to you on this..........

May 2007 be a year of knitty goodness for you all.

2 Comments:

  • Such a cute baby kimono. I do love the Mason*Dixon book!

    A broken nail is, in fact, a tragedy. You should be able to get some form of sick leave from work for this. Seriously...

    Happy New Year!!!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 11:05 pm  

  • lovely kimono --- I think it will be my next project. 2007 is the Year of the Baby for my friends!

    Nice work!

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 6:40 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home