Up Knit Creek



Wednesday, October 25, 2006

A good excuse

This time, anyway - I've been away for a few days and was unable to get onto the internet; not because there was no connection, but because the connection was hijacked by my darling daughters onto Lucy's laptop and she appeared to be operating a "strictly no mums" policy. We were staying at my mum and dad's and although they have a broadband connection, it is never active when we are there as the computer has to be moved to accommodate the girls and there is no phone point nearby. So, my brother had the bright idea of disconnecting the modem from mum's PC and re-connecting it to Lucy's laptop which could be sited near either of the phone points. Voila! We have connection! At least, anyone under the age of 19 does, but not me, or mum, or brother. I hardly saw the girls after that except for mealtimes as it is apparently impossible to be a proper teenager unless you spend at least 12 hours a day "talking" on MSN. Hey ho!

Anyway, this lack of virtual communications meant that I had time to do a fair amount of knitting so we now have one back, two fronts and one sleeve of the rock star cardi completed as well as a ball-band wash cloth (not that actual one, mine is a very sickly fetching combination of pink and green) and a couple of cushion covers. No pictures yet as for some reason, I have made one circular piece and one square piece so they can't be assembled until I've knitted another circle and another square. I'm off work for the rest of this week so hopefully Rock Star will get finished and the cushions may be ready for plumping.

I also managed to buy another book (what really? wouldn't be another knitting book, would it?)during an evening visit to Borders - a very civilised idea, going to bookshops in the evening. The Vogue Stitchionary part one. It just sort of slipped into my basket as I was browsing, honest, and I didn't even realise until I was at the till, paying. A preliminary look through has set off all sorts of ideas in my yarn-addled brain so I may have to get yet more cushions to knit for.

It was a short trip to the parents this time as both girls had made plans for half-term, but I will be back up there next weekend to attend the funeral of my Grandpa's second wife - Gladys died suddenly in her sleep on 7th October at the venerable age of 93. If only we could all go like that, just slip away peacefully with no suffering, no fear.

2 Comments:

  • Your wash cloths are rather fancy :)

    I try not to think about death, I am definitely not ready to face my own mortality!!

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 4:54 pm  

  • I am so sorry to hear about your grandfather's wife. But what a peaceful passing... We can only hope for that ending after a long stay on the planet.

    Sounds like you've been keeping yourself quite busy!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 9:57 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home