Up Knit Creek



Saturday, November 18, 2006

As promised..........

....I give you the Sunrise Circle Jacket:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
and the back view:
Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting
The colours are a bit more vivid than they appear in the photos.
Pattern: Kate Gilbert in Interweave Knits, Spring 2006
Yarn: Colinette Skye, copperbeech colourway, just over 8 hanks used.

I had real trouble getting the tension right for this and never really got the row count right, with the result that the sleeves were about 4 inches too long and the jacket is not a short jacket as shown in the original pattern. It would have been impossible to get the exact tension with this yarn as I would have needed to use needles three sizes smaller than recommended and the resulting fabric would have been too stiff, not to mention extremely difficult to knit. I know I'm not the only one to experience difficulties with the tension and can only surmise that either the designer or her test knitter is an extremely tight knitter (and I can assure you that I am not loose, myself).
Overall, I am very happy with this; I have hardly taken it off since it was finished on Tuesday and have already had lots of compliments (and am sitting here with a soppy grin on my face as a result!)

Today was the Angel Yarns cake day. Any other online shop might call this event an "open day" or a "showcase", but AY cuts to the chase and tells it like it is - lots of knitters stroking and fondling the wonderful range of yarns whilst simultaneously gorging themselves and trying not to smear chocolate on the aforementioned goodies. I was very restrained and only bought a couple of "tester balls" for myself and some chunky, slubby stuff for Bethany ( and some sparkly needles) but for me the great pleasure was in meeting people that I only *talk* to online in the forum. It is funny how you get a mental picture of someone in your head only to find that in real life they look nothing at all like you'd imagined. I'm sure everyone on the forum thinks of me as a tall, willowy blonde with legs that go on forever (which is how I see myself, ha ha, I wish) when the reality is a plump middle-aged woman with big brunette hair that never does what it's supposed to.
The cakes, if you're interested, were delicious.

3 Comments:

  • Yarn and cake??? I'm drooling over here!

    Sunrise Circle looks amazing! Nice work.

    I'm pretty sure that I read somewhere how tall, willowy blondes can't knit. Who'd want that?

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 2:43 am  

  • Sunrise Circle Jacket looks great!!! I'm with sheepish annie, drooling over the thought of yarn and cake... (wiping chin).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:57 am  

  • Your jacket looks really nice.

    Glad you had a good time at Cake Day. Wish I could have been there too!
    H.

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 2:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home