Up Knit Creek



Sunday, April 22, 2007

If only I had a memory......

... that worked. The one that currently resides in the space where my brain should be has gone on strike with the result that I cannot remember anything! Well, nothing useful anyway. I forgot about yesterday's meeting of the Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guild so missed out on a potentially very interesting talk and the opportunity to mingle with like-minded people. It has also just occurred to me that I offered to take Peri along with me to this meeting, but I forgot that as well - if you're reading this, Peri, I'm really sorry.
I also forgot, in my last posting, to mention a couple of things that we did over Easter, so here goes.
Good Friday saw Simon (the much-neglected person who shares the Up Knit Creek house with me and my yarn) and me actually going out somewhere together, without children! We didn't venture far because there's lots to see and do in this little corner of Sussex, especially when the weather is as good as it was that day. First stop was Middle Farm where we had a lovely home-cooked lunch and sampled plenty of cider in the barn. This place is really good for kids as there are lots of animals to be patted and stroked and all the usual goings-on of a working farm. The farm shop is excellent for organic and fair-trade stuff as well.
After that we drove a little further along the A27 to Charleston, the country home of the Bloomsbury set. We had to take a guided tour (which I usually avoid like the plague at these sorts of places) and I am so glad we did. The guide was very informative and really knew her stuff. The whole house is a delight and I am ashamed to say that this was my first visit in almost twenty years of living down here. The tea-room does wonderful home-made cakes and the gift shop had some lovely hand-made felted items as well as some knitted and crocheted things too. All-in-all a very civilised and inspiring way to spend a day.

On the knitting front, we have a couple of new items:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

This is the "Seashore Sock", my own design, so-called because the yarn is Lucy Neatby's Celestial Merino in "Seashell" colourway and the lacy pattern reminds me of waves breaking on the shore. Its partner is not quite finished yet, but the pattern will be on the website soon.
Second up is this:
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

A cabled bag, again of my own design, knitted in Jaeger extra fine merino chunky. I wasn't too sure whether the cables would show up once the bag was felted but I need not have worried. I hope to have the pattern for this on the website soon, but I forgot to write down what I did as I went along and now I can't remember! (See, it's that stupid memory again.) I do know more or less how it went, but I didn't write down any stitch counts or the pre-felting measurements. I have numerous little notebooks and pens (a particular weakness whenever I'm in a stationery shop) so there really is no excuse (except maybe my age. Yeah, that's it! It's my age). I suppose that even if I can't remember the exact details, a close approximation would do, after all, felting is a very inexact science anyway.
OK, I'm off to do.............to go.............err........something important's happening...............nope, can't remember!

5 Comments:

  • It is very interesting to see what the LN Seashell looks like knitted up, as I have some of that in the stash. It looks so pretty as your sock, I'm glad I have have some of it!!

    Your felted cabled bag is really nice, hope you can get it sussed :)

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 8:21 pm  

  • The bag and sock are just wonderful! Nice job. I do hope the pattern comes back to you!

    Memory is a tricky thing. I seem to be able to recall odd bits of trivia that have no real usefulness in my day to day life. And yet I can't remember where my car keys are to save my life! Sheesh!!!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 8:50 pm  

  • No worries Annie - it had slipped my mind too - must be an age thing ;=)

    By Blogger Peri, at 1:23 pm  

  • I was going to ask if you ever made it to the Guild meetings, unfortunately I'm doing my C & G Handknitting and it falls on the Sunday and I can't get a weekend pass out with a toddler! grrr,lovely socks by the way, beautiful colours!

    By Blogger Joanna, at 11:20 pm  

  • I love the bag. I too hope you remember, I'd love to have a go at that :)

    By Blogger gilraen, at 8:03 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home