Up Knit Creek



Wednesday, May 23, 2007

All stitched up

and slightly more room inside my abdominal cavity. The troublesome and excruciatingly painful gall-bladder is no more, it is an ex gall-bladder that has shuffled off its mortal coil and can no longer turn me into a shivering, feverish, nauseous lump of green goo, incapable of speech or ... anything really.
The operation was a success, the nurses were lovely and overall the experience was as good as these things can be. I have a couple of stitches to be removed provided the nurse can decide whether they are dissolvable or not (I'm guessing not as it's now 10 days post-op and they're showing no signs of disappearing) and then I should be back to normal. I haven't tried driving again yet but will give it a go over the weekend probably.

I managed to finish a pair of socks during my hospital stay and the few days afterwards
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Tofutsies yarn, my own pattern. Note the beautiful, sexy T.E.D. stockings


but apart from that, my knitting mojo seems to have deserted me. I have cast on one or two little things and finished off a few bits and pieces but nothing is really shouting "Knit me! KNIT ME!" at present. Obviously, since the op I've had a bit of time on my hands so it has been really frustrating to find myself in the midst of so much knitting time with nothing to show for it.

So, what to do?

Spinning, that's what. The knitting mojo may have gone, but the spinning version is back with a vengeance.
First up, my first ever laceweight:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


It's a bit over-spun as I was originally going to ply it but then it became a game of "let's see how fine I can go with this and just how many yards I can make". The result is approx 200 yards of 25wpi yarn. The fibre was a free sample of Suffolk fleece, about 40 grams, kindly donated by Rachel in return for answering a few questions about the fibre and its results. Not bad, eh? I started to knit a lacy neck-warmer with it but couldn't get the stitch count to add up so it's been frogged, to await the return of (hopefully) inspiration.

Second was a little experiment that had been bubbling in the deepest recesses of what passes for my brain for quite a while. About 18 months ago I bought some extremely fine commercially-spun cashmere yarn, thinking that I would fashion all manner of wispy, floaty gorgeousness from it. Needless to say these plans did not come to fruition as the yarn was overspun, prone to breaking and, frankly, too much of a strain on my poor old eyes. I then hit on the idea of navajo-plying it so it would be a little thicker, a little more robust and therefore easier to knit with. There were several unsuccessful attempts at this that mainly resulted in howls of frustration and an almighty tangled mess needing to be surgically removed from the flyer on my wheel. This time though, the spinning godesses were smiling favourably in my direction and the navajo plying worked. Unfortunately, the resulting slightly-thicker-but-still-laceweight yarn was still unusable for knitting as it just didn't "gel" somehow. Next part of the experiment was to try plying it with some merino-blend singles that I had spun whilst at my parents' house the other weekend - this time, Houston, we have lift-off:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket


We have approx 350 yards of cashmere/merino/other wool yarn at about 15 wpi. Oh yeah ... the colour ... well, that was the other problem with the cashmere but that will have to wait till I get the new dyes I have ordered.

Lastly, Mollie would like you all to know that she has been "doing her bit" to aid me in my convalescence.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Why can't I just lie here all afternoon? What do you mean, there's a patient to be looked after?

7 Comments:

  • I'm so glad that the operation went well and that you won't have to deal with the misbehaving gall bladder anymore! And dissolving stitches are a myth! I had to remove my own after I had the Mole Of Disturbing Dimensions removed. I wanted to bill the insurance company for the labor, but I'm told that they won't honor it...darn it!

    Lovely job on the yarn! I am experimenting with navajo plying myself. It is slooooow going!

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 11:37 pm  

  • glad to hear that you're on the mend.

    First time I tried Navajo plying it was beautiful, I've never succeeded with it since. Always end up with a horrible tangle! You've done beautifully, and I'm well impressed with that lace weight!

    By Blogger ra, at 7:31 pm  

  • Pleased that the op went ok and glad to hear you are on the mend. my navaho plying has been a disaster so far, but that yarn looks great, I kind of like the colour

    By Blogger Joanna, at 9:39 am  

  • Glad to hear that you're mending.

    Nice sockies and luverly spinning.

    Look after yourself.

    By Blogger Peri, at 10:44 am  

  • Lovely socks, colour and pattern.

    By Blogger Unknown, at 6:41 pm  

  • Get well soon!!! My knitting mojo is lacking also. Glad you reminded me to get my wheel out and spin. Love the socks!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:52 am  

  • Pleased to read that your operation went well and you are ok.

    Your handspun looks really great, the laceweight is amazing!

    By Blogger Hellbelle, at 2:11 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home