Up Knit Creek



Thursday, June 21, 2007

Still here

I think.
I don't know where the time goes to these days. Wednesdays was often a good night for blogging as I had the house to myself and could hog the computer as long as I liked but Wednesday evenings are now devoted to S 'n' B (too much B and not enough S, usually) and by the time I get home, I'm too tired. 's OK, I think, I'll blog tomorrow instead, but we all know tomorrow never comes.
So what exactly have I been doing instead of blogging?
Well, there's the usual perfunctory round of household tasks that even I can't put off indefinitely. I have made attempts to delegate in the past but they never come to much, and I do have standards, however low they may seem to others ...
I have been spinning a little, dyeing a little - about 110 yards of blue/brown navajo-plied DK/Aran yarn and 60ish grams of merino-blend roving that is now blue/brown/pinky-red - and I have been thinking about spinning as well. Last year I acquired a Norfolk Horn fleece in a swap. I washed it (dirty job, made the whole house stink) and then put it away whilst I deliberated on its future. I now have some ideas but have to find the time to put them into practice ... if the truth be told, I am a bit nervous about the whole carding/preparing scenario.
I have also been knitting - the fluffy, lacy experiment has been put on hold temporarily as there is some secret deadline-type knitting going on in time for a significant birthday. I don't think the intended recipient reads these online witterings but I'm not taking any chances. I'm finding it quite hard going, actually, even though it's a simple pattern and one that is very effective when finished (I've already done two versions in the past); I think this may be because I'm not 100% sure that the birthday girl will like it. I know she will like the colour and I'm pretty sure she will like the pattern, it's just that I think she feels that knitted items are a bit ... homespun ... a bit second-rate .... and I'm worried that she might feel a bit let-down by a home-made present. She is a very stylish, well-dressed woman and this little gift is meant to embrace that image; I just hope she takes it the right way ... I'll let you know!
Another reason (why am I making excuses? it's just laziness that's stopped me from blogging) for the lack of posts is that last Saturday I went to the local Spinners, Weavers and Dyers Guild, where we were treated to a demonstration of 3D wet-felting by Harriet Appleby who makes beautiful, beautiful felted wraps and bags. I am seriously considering attending one of her workshops (as if I really need another hobby...) When I have seen Harriet's work in the past, I assumed that she hand-dyed the merino tops herself as the richness and variety of colours was so good, but they are all commercially-dyed. Just shows what you can do by careful blending.

Right, the hungry hordes will be home soon - whose turn to be chef tonight?

2 Comments:

  • Better to be busy than to have nothing to do! It sounds like you've had some fun in between the labor-type stuff.

    And I'm sure you're friend will love the shawl. People always seem to picture crocheted tea cosies or toilet tissue covers when they think of knitted gifts. A lovely shawl is always a surprise. (and it is usually something that they would pay top dollar for in a store!)

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 8:06 pm  

  • Annie, thanks so much for your comment on my blog about the flu. I don't see why a knitter couldn't win the Turner Prize (considering the pile of dog's doo doos that have won in the past) but I don't think it will be me. What about Freddie Robins?

    By Blogger Kate, at 11:23 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home