Up Knit Creek



Monday, July 02, 2007

The Birthday MeMe

Saw this on Sheepish Annie's blog (amongst others) so thought I'd give it a go.

November 23rd:

1869 - Dumbarton, Scotland: the clipper Cutty Sark is launched and is now the only one of its kind in existence, despite being badly damaged by a fire on 21st May this year.

1990 - the first all-female expedition to the South Pole begins. I don't know if they made it...

2005 - Ellen Johnson-Sirleaf becomes president of Liberia, the first woman to lead an African nation.

Birthdays:
1887 - Boris Karloff (actor)
1718 - Edward Teachor a.k.a Blackbeard the pirate

Holiday:
Kinro kansha no hi Japanese labour thanksgiving day

If you want to have a go, just type your birthday (minus the year) into Wikipedia and then choose three notable events, two birthdays and one holiday.
Simple, entertaining and educational!

1 Comments:

  • I really enjoyed this meme! I honestly didn't know just how much had gone on my b-day until I checked.

    Now I'm wondering about that Alaskan expedition, though...

    By Blogger Sheepish Annie, at 8:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home