Up Knit Creek



Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Finished object

My time at home has been used quite productively so far - I have finished the replacement for "Sonnet". "Sonnet" knitted in Colinette Giotto was not a success as the fabric produced was too floppy and prone to stretching, so I frogged and started again. I'm quite happy with the result:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
It's a top-down raglan cardi in mostly stocking stitch, with a bottom border of two rows of mitred squares - I got bored with plain stocking stitch - and a crocheted crab-stitch edging. The pattern is my own, using "Sweater Wizard" software.

The pattern for a test swatch for the Mystery Shawl Along was posted on Monday evening so I knitted two little samples, neither of them in the yarn bought for the purpose! (Well, a girl can change her mind, can't she?). I decided that the Filatura di Crosa yarn was just too fine, so it will now be used (probably!) for something from "A Gathering of Lace" by Meg Swansen.
I swatched using some alpaca left over from a jumper I knitted over Christmas:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
and some hand-dyed 4-ply wool of unknown origin:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Those colours are just too much when combined with the lacy pattern so I have decided to go with the alpaca, which is soooooo soft and snuggly and shows off the stitch detail much more clearly.
I'm itching to start the actual shawl now, though I think it will be more difficult than I first thought. I know it will be triangular, but don't know whether it starts at the point and increases, or starts at the long edge and decreases. The only other lace knitting I've done was a mohair stole for my mum - the mohair was too thick so the stole doesn't drape as well as it should, but the pattern shows up nicely. Sadly, my daughters are not really "girly" girls so they're not interested in shawls or frills or lacy stuff - black stuff with holes in is more their style.
For some pretty staggering lace knitting, look here .

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home