Up Knit Creek



Saturday, June 11, 2005

Good excuse

No post for a week, tut tut tut, well I'm sure no-one's missed me. I do have good excuse for not blogging since last Saturday - I've been knitting. Yes, I've actually been manipulating two little sticks and some long bits of yarn and this is the result:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Ignore the acres of excess flab and concentrate on the knitting. This is the crossover top from the current issue of Vogue Knitting, made with Hip Knits 100% silk yarn in the "Dawn" colourway. I received the yarn in the post on June 3rd and the top was completely finished on 10th June. Obviously, that has meant no time for anything else like washing, cooking, cleaning, shopping and all the other stuff I'm meant to do, but I just couldn't put it down. The silk is soooooooooooo soft and really easy to knit with - I'm in love. I need to find another project that must be knitted in silk - it's just gorgeous, drapes beautifully, has a wonderful sheen and makes people want to stroke me when I wear it - what more can a gal ask!!

Last Sunday was "The Big Knit-in" at Brighton University. It was a really nice day, marred only slightly by what passes for English summer weather (i.e. cold, grey skies and intermittent rain). There were lots of people there and enough activities to keep even the most knitaphobic person interested. My favourite was the 4-feet long knitting needles made from broom handles - definitely a two-person job to knit with them. I don't know if this was a one-off event, but I for one would be happy to see it become an annual feature in the knitting calendar.

Today, as we all know, is Worldwide Knit In Public Day. I met up with a few friends in Lewes and we sat on a public bench in the High Street knitting and goss, oops sorry, chatting for about three hours, but no-one spoke to us or asked why we were there - I was all ready to evangelise about the beautiful craft, but NO-ONE WAS INTERESTED. Can you believe it? Lewes doesn't deserve us!

Later we went to a small textiles exhibition in a little village north of Lewes and saw some amazing "pocketed knitting", where lots of little pockets are machine knitted from very fine thread and objects are put into the pockets - anything from cigarette butts to pistachio shells and scraps of fabric. Try this link: http://www.pharmacopoeia-art.net
(hope this works, haven't actually tried it yet). There was also some very theatrical head-dresses/hats by Jools Elphick, some lovely silver jewellery, felted objects, hand-knitted jumpers and hand-woven, hand-dyed wraps. There was also delicious coffee and walnut cake, but that wasn't part of the exhibition, just temptation lurking in the corner!

Altogether a very enjoyable day, finished off by knitting with my new Giotto yarn from Colinette and a glass or two of a rather nice merlot. Bliss.

3 Comments:

  • hello mum, the link does work & the top looks really nice on you.

    :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:15 am  

  • It's looking fabulous! That is the silk you were knitting at Brighton uni, isn't it?

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:32 pm  

  • Ohoo the wraparound looks lovely. I succumbed and ordered some more in the Brighton colourway (who'd resist? It was like it was made for me) I can't believe that there were no comments in Lewes - sounds like you had a good time though.

    By Blogger Peri, at 8:51 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home