Up Knit Creek



Saturday, May 14, 2005

BooksBooksBooks

I decided I wanted to buy a copy of Yarn Harlot's book, but didn't think it would be readily available in our local bookshops, so I went on to the Amazon website. I've always been satisfied with my dealings with Amazon in the past and had no reason to think this would be any different. To my surprise and delight, "At Knit's End" was listed as being available for despatch within 24 hours. I also saw "A Gathering of Lace" by Meg Swansen and thought I'd have that as well. The confirmation e-mail I received assured me that both books would be despatched by the end of April (I placed the order on 26th March). The end of April came and went, and I heard nothing. When I checked my account, it said that the books would be despatched in June!!! I was not a happy bunny so I sent an e-mail to Amazon customer services (after trawling the whole site for the address - not easy to find at all - Amazon take note). This email expressed my displeasure in no uncertain terms, and I cancelled the order. I got an email back from Amazon apologising for letting me down and giving me a voucher for £3.00 off my next purchase - a result.
I then went on to Waterstones website (which is Amazon by a different name), saw both books on 24 hour despatch and placed my order. That was on Friday morning and Hey Presto! both books arrived on my doorstep at 10.00 o'clock this morning - another result! What I can't understand is how one section of Amazon can get things so badly wrong, when another section gets it absolutely 100% right. It's Waterstones for me every time from now on.
I am happy to report that both books live up to their expectations and are the main reason for an almost complete lack of knitting today (I did about 6 rows of the Viennese shrug). We also went to a wedding today ( I didn't think it would be quite the done thing to knit in the register office or at the reception, but I'm ashamed to say that my obsession has taken such a hold that I really did consider taking my wool and needles along). The bride and groom both looked absolutely lovely and even the few small showers didn't spoil the day.
The day has finally ended with me driving into Brighton at 10.00pm to pick up Lucy and her friend from a rock gig they had been to - I knew I had the right place when I saw loads of teenagers dressed in black baggy things and sporting t-shirts with satanistic scrawlings on them. Can you tell that I'm really up to speed with developments in the world of popular music?!!

3 Comments:

  • Hi, this is my first visit to your site and I just had to say that I love the text style you've used.
    I'm sorry that you had problems with Amazon. I also ordered "Knit Happens" at the same time but fortunately mine came straight away. I hope you enjoy reading it now its here!!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:55 pm  

  • Thank you Ali - the font is "Papyrus" and it's my daughter's favourite as well as mine. I can't put the book down!

    By Blogger Annie, at 10:38 pm  

  • Hi, You asked me for help about the UKnitters ring link; yours seems to be ok apart from missing the Previous link. I would try re-pasting the code into your site template. If that doesn't work, try emailing the ring owner. Good luck!

    By Blogger Steph, at 9:08 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home