Up Knit Creek



Sunday, April 10, 2005

Blisters

Ow! I have blisters and my legs ache. I had forgotten that London is a big place. Distances on a streetmap bear no relation to distances walked. It said "1o-minute walk" from Kings Cross to the Craft Council in Pentonville Road. What it didn't say was that it was all up hill and that there would be a strong, cold, northerly wind trying to blow me down the hill as I walked.
It was worth it though. Unfortunately, photography was not allowed in the gallery but there are some good pictures in the May issue of "Knitting".
I found the whole exhibition very inspiring and I'm glad I made the effort to go. Anyone who thinks of knitting as fuddy-duddy and boring would have to change their opinions after seeing this. I think my favourite piece was Veste Pour Oiseaux Migratures by Marie-Rose Lortet.

After I had finished at the Craft Council, I went to Liberty. I haven't been there for at least 15 years and I was shocked at how small the dress-fabric department has become. I remember going there to look for material to make my wedding dress and being completely overwhelmed by the choice. Now you can get either Tana Lawn or Crepe-de-Chine in Liberty prints or plain colours and that's about it. Very disappointing. In the knitting section though, they sell Rowan patchwork fabrics so I came away happy.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
This is going to be the "Via Diagonale" bag from the new issue of Knitty. The fabric will be the lining of the bag.
I have also started this:
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
The Flower Basket shawl from Interweave Knits (autumn/fall 2004), so that's five projects on the go. Variety is the spice of life and two scarves, a shawl, a bag and a chair cover is pretty varied!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home