Up Knit Creek



Wednesday, August 24, 2005

A la recherche du blog perdu

Not too sure that the title is appropriate - "oublie" would probably be better than "perdu" and I wish I knew how to put accents on the letters.
I haven't posted recently for two reasons: 1. I haven't felt much like writing anything and 2. I haven't done much knitting to write about.
Although I have now been off work for 5 weeks, I just don't seem to have a lot of time; I am completely unable to explain where the time has gone and I have nothing to show for it - the time has gone, never to be seen again. I unknitted four sweaters last week, wound them into skeins, washed the skeins, ironed the skeins and wound them into balls; I knitted clue 4 of the mystery shawl and knitted a bit more of the aran chair cover. Yesterday and today I have knitted a little bolero-style cardi for my cousin's baby, but it took three attempts to get to a style I was happy with and even now, I'm not completely convinced but that's because of the yarn I used (a yukky acrylic with little sparkles in it, the best of a very limited choice in our local craft shop). Hopefully, a few embroidered flowers will improve things and make it look a bit less naff. I haven't knitted with acrylic for a while and had forgotten how unpleasant it is to use. The longer I knit, the more snobby I become about yarn.
I have been doing a little bit of dyeing (some merino tops using food colouring) and spinning on my drop-spindle, but not enough to make anything worthwhile - y'know like actual yarn or anything. I am hopeful that this situation will improve over the next couple of days as I intend to take the fibres and spindle to Leicester when we go to stay with my parents tomorrow.

Tomorrow is a big day for Lucy (and hundreds of thousands of other 16 year-olds in the UK) as GCSE results are out. Although she was very calm during the exam period,despite her school being burnt down a month beforehand, she has now got the jitters quite badly; her predicted grades are very respectable and she worked hard so I don't think she needs to worry so much. I have done my best to reassure her but I can remember how nervous I was on results day back in 1979. I did my best to stay in bed all day in the hope that everyone would forget and I could just make up the results - didn't work then and I don't suppose it would work now. Anyway, to all you GCSE-ers out there GOOD LUCK and DON'T PANIC, it'll all be over by Friday.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home