Up Knit Creek



Tuesday, October 18, 2005

In one piece

I've survived, despite trains that didn't run*, dodgy hotels**, even dodgier taxi drivers and eating at McDonald's, I'm still in one piece.

This was the first time I had ever been to Alexandra Palace and the first time I had ever demonstrated anything at a show and I would readily do both again. There was a real buzz at the show, and although I didn't get to look around as much as I would have liked, what I did see was very inspiring. The whole place was a riot of colour and texture and there are so many new techniques that I really want to try. It's probably just as well that I didn't get to look around too much as I would have spent far far too much money.
I had a great time demonstrating the "Wonder Knitter" and the Hairpin Lace tool along with knitting needles and crochet hooks. Nina and Naoki were really friendly and easy to get on with so I needn't have been nervous at all. Now I want to have a go at the applique and mesh-weaving that Nina was demonstrating, just so I can have a go with that really cute little mini iron.
Unfortunately, my head is now completely full of fluffy yarn so there is no room for a brain, as manifested by the fact that I totally forgot to take the camera, so I apologise for the lack of pictures - I'm sure there are other, more organised, bloggers out there whose brains are still intact and who will have pictures on their blogs.

All in all I had a great weekend and I'm feeling quite proud of myself. Only a few weeks ago, the journey alone would have put me off going as my mood was so low and motivation non-existent but things have moved on and I've had a great little adventure, made new friends, found loads of inspiration and proven to myself that I can speak in public ( a personal challenge that I have always avoided in the past). Wow! There's the proof - Knitting Is Good For You!

* On Saturday morning, there were no trains running to Alexandra Palace station as a Eurostar train had broken down there. What I can't understand is why a Eurostar train was anywhere near Ally Pally? Was it lost? Did the driver mistake Ally Pally for the Louvre?
** Apparently, the hotel I stayed in at Haringay is (or was) a brothel. I didn't see anything suspicious, but I wouldn't know what to look for anyway!

2 Comments:

  • Oh well as long as you weren't impotuned by strange men and the sheets were clean I wouldn't worry about it too much. LoL

    By Blogger ra, at 9:56 am  

  • thanks for your reply about the moebus scarf, only just saw it (it pays to go back over previous blogs and read the comments). I think I understand what you're saying. I'll give it a try when I finish me cardi!

    By Blogger ra, at 11:02 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home