Up Knit Creek



Monday, September 19, 2005

Oooops!

Almost a week gone by again!
Not much to report really; I have finished the "Accidentally on purpose" dropped stitch top from Stitch 'n' Bitch Nation for Bethany. No photo yet 'cause the camera needs charging, but Bethany seems pretty pleased with it. I bought four balls of Patons 100% cotton DK, to make sure I had the required yardage, but I have used less than two. I often find that I use less yarn than is called for in the pattern but I daren't buy less "just in case". My stash is full of odd balls that shouldn't really be there at all.
I have also finished my two socks on one needle. I bought my very first Addi turbo to complete these socks and I have to say it made all the difference. The needles are so smooth and the cord is much more flexible than on other circular needles I have used. I would definitely try this method of knitting socks again - once you've mastered it, it's a doddle and if I can do it, anyone can!
I'm now trying to make a concerted effort to finish the aran chair cover that has been on the needles since January. I don't know why it's taking me so long - big needles, thick wool, staightforward pattern - there's nothing really to justify the slow progress. Must be all those other things that I keep knitting in between times, y'know, shawls, socks, tops, scarves, baby clothes etc etc. It will be finished soon.
I also have another new toy to distract me - I won a knitting machine on Ebay last week. I haven't been able to use it yet as there was no instruction book with it (how helpful!) but I have tracked down a place in Brighton that has one copy in stock so there'll be no stopping me. I used to have a very simple, basic machine years ago, but all the important bits seem to be missing so it's no use. The main reason for buying the new machine is that I have an idea for some projects that require large pieces of plain knitting to start with. I could do it by hand but it would take too long and the interesting part is what happens to the knitting afterwards. Can't really explain it yet, but will hopefully have piccies of the prototypes before too long.
I don't know when I'm going to have time to do all these projects, mind you, as I will be back to work on Monday next week. The doctor has decided that I am fit to go back after 10 weeks off, because I smiled for the first time!

P.S.
Do any of you lovely readers live near Ally Pally? I will be at the Knitting and Stitching show all four days, and could do with a floor to sleep on!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home